Position Title: Vice President of Operations
Client Company: Essex Property Trust (www.Essex.com)
Job Scope: The final candidate will have overall P&L responsibility for the 18,000 apartment units that Essex owns in the San Francisco Bay Area and be one of only three Division Managers in the company. S/he will have responsibility for eight Regional Managers overseeing 72 properties in the region with about 500 staff. The three key areas of accountability for the role include (1) maximizing the financial performance of the portfolio, (2) enhancing Essex Associates engagement and retention, and (3) optimizing customer experience and satisfaction.
Candidate Placement: ROI placed a +20 year multi-family, residential property management veteran in this role.
- Maximizing the financial performance of the portfolio in revenue, controllable expenses, capital projects and occupancy rates against both budget and peer groups.
- Contributing to the overall Property Operations Group through committee leadership in standardizing best practices and managing through company performance standards.
- Monitoring the portfolio performance as compared to company’s standards and budget and ensuring underperforming assets are following measurable corrective action plans.
- Enhancing engagement through developing best practices for hiring, on boarding, training, developing, assessing and retaining of all existing and new Associates in the division.
- Ensuring operational excellence and eliminate inconsistent operational procedures.
Skills, Qualifications & Competencies:
- A seasoned, multi-unit manager with 10 to 12 years of management experience with minimum 3-5 years of senior leadership experience, 5 to 7 direct reports and +500 plus staff.
- Multi-family experience is preferred but will consider experience in related industries.
- A solid analytics mindset is required along with the capability of reading, analyzing and understanding business documents (e.g. Budgets, Financial Statements, Lease Agreements, Vendor Contracts and Landlord/Tenant Law)
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills at all levels.